Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2008

Four arrested in armed carjacking

Police chased suspects into the District

E-mail this article \ Print this article

Two teens extradited from Washington, D.C., have been charged as adults with kidnapping, armed carjacking and armed robbery in connection to a police chase that began in Aspen Hill and ended in the District last week.

Two other men arrested in connection to the incident remained in the custody of the Metropolitan Police Department in the District on Tuesday afternoon.

Jamal William Cooper, 17, of no fixed address, and Delonte Myers, 16, of the 14100 block of Red Eagle Court in Silver Spring, were extradited to Montgomery County on Monday, said Lucille Baur, a county police spokeswoman. They also have been charged with using a handgun in a crime of violence, she said.

Cooper and Myers were each being held Tuesday afternoon on $750,000 bond at the Montgomery County Detention Center in Rockville.

Anthony Lawrence McCombs, 16, of the 8700 block of Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring, and Larry Anthony Ayers, 19, of no fixed address, will be charged with the same crimes upon extradition to Montgomery, Baur said Tuesday afternoon. McCombs will also be charged as an adult.

The arrests stem from an incident on Aug. 12. At 11:31 p.m., Fourth District police officers responded to the report of an armed carjacking in the 14100 block of Grand Pre Road in Aspen Hill.

The victim, a 24-year-old Wheaton man, was approached by a group of men, one displaying a handgun, who ordered the man to drive to the Bank of America in the Aspen Hill Shopping Center at 13601 Connecticut Ave. and withdraw money from his account at the ATM. He was then forced to drive back to Grand Pre Road, where the men told him to get out of the car, police said.

The men drove away in the victim's beige 2000 Honda Civic, police said. The victim, who was not injured during the incident, found a person who called police.

Police said a lookout was broadcast for the victim's stolen car. A Fourth District officer spotted the car traveling south on Georgia Avenue at Blueridge Avenue in Wheaton. The officer attempted to stop the car, but the driver continued on. Officers chased the stolen car onto eastbound Interstate 495, police said.

The stolen car struck a police car, causing minor damage, police said. The chase continued into Prince George's County where more police officers joined in the pursuit.

Police said the car drove onto southbound Route 50 and continued into Washington, D.C., where Metropolitan Police officers also became involved in the chase.

At the intersection of 57th Avenue and Dix Lane in Northeast Washington, one of the men jumped out of the moving vehicle and began running away. The stolen car then struck a curb, bringing it to a stop. The remaining three men jumped out of the car in the 5700 block of Dix Lane and attempted to run away, police said.

Officers from all three police departments caught the four men. Police also recovered a weapon from the car, Montgomery County Police reported.

The entire chase happened within the span of a half hour, said Officer Rodney Barnes, a county police spokesman.

The four suspects were initially held in a Washington, D.C., jail as fugitives from justice, police said.

Staff Writer Amber Parcher contributed to this report.