Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Forestville apartment fire sends two to hospital

E-mail this article \ Print this article


A fire that was set in a Forestville apartment building Tuesday afternoon caused two injuries and $25,000 in damage, county fire officials said.

A woman injured her leg jumping from a second-floor balcony and another woman suffered from possible smoke inhalation, said Mark E. Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire Department. The two were sent to a local hospital.

Investigators determined the fire was started at around 3:45 p.m. in a vacant apartment at the Regency Village apartment complex at 575 Hil-Mar Drive, Brady said.

Some residents fled to their balconies to escape the smoke.

The building is three stories in the front and four in the back, Brady said. The fire was in a terrace-level apartment in back of one of the buildings.

The fire was extinguished in about 10 minutes. Along with damage, the fire displaced one resident, Brady said.

Brady declined to give details of the arson while it was under investigation.

Fire officials urge anybody with information on who started the fire to call investigators at 301-77-ARSON.