Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Fire causes $45K in damages

E-mail this article \ Print this article

A house fire in Aspen Hill early Friday morning resulted in significant damage to the structure and caused backups during rush hour on Georgia Avenue, fire officials reported.

The incident was the fourth major house fire in Aspen Hill since December. Firefighters also responded to four apartment and condominium building fires in the Aspen Hill area since December.

Approximately 45 firefighters responded to the blaze at a single-family home in the 13600 block of Georgia Avenue shortly before 5:45 a.m., said Pete Piringer, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman.

Firefighters were alerted to the fire after a passerby noticed smoke coming from the house. It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control, Piringer said.

‘‘It was a pretty significant fire,” he said. ‘‘It burned through the floor.”

The single-story house was unoccupied at the time. Piringer said it was undergoing renovations and its owners had been living elsewhere.

The fire was confined to the kitchen, he said.

‘‘Fire investigators believe the fire was electrical in nature and had to do with components of the dishwasher,” Piringer said, adding that new kitchen appliances, including the dishwasher, had recently been installed.

He said the fire caused about $45,000 in damage to the house.

Southbound lanes on Georgia Avenue were blocked in the area of Ralph Road for a couple of hours during rush hour as crews stayed on the scene.