Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2007

Missing woman found in Virginia hospital

E-mail this article \ Print this article

After a second public plea from family for help, a 36-year-old Silver Spring woman was found last week at Western State Hospital in Staunton, Va., two months after her disappearance.

Kim Jones had been missing since Dec. 18 when her mother, Theresa, last saw her at Caribou Coffee on East West Highway in Silver Spring.

Jones, who suffers from several medical conditions including post-traumatic stress disorder, did not have any medication or identification with her when she disappeared. Jones was diagnosed while serving with the U.S. Army during Operation Desert Storm, according to family members Thursday who asked for the public’s help in finding her.

Without her medication, Jones would probably not correctly identify herself, according to her mother and Montgomery County Police. She was not located after an initial plea by the family in December.

Jones was located after media publicity went out to agencies in various states, including Western State Hospital and Arlington County, Va., police, who reported to Montgomery County Police that Jones had been sent to Western State Hospital for treatment after a court appearance.

Jones was arrested in Arlington just one day after meeting with her mother in Silver Spring. She was charged with credit card theft and credit card fraud, said John Lisle, a spokesman for Arlington County Police. However, she gave the police a name other than Kim Jones and eventually went to court Feb. 8. There, a judge asked that she be sent to a hospital for medical evaluation, Montgomery County Police said.

When Theresa Jones said she learned Kim was in a hospital, she was relieved that her daughter was alive and safe.

‘‘”When I got the call, I couldn’t stop crying,” she said. ‘‘...God had his hand upon her.”

Theresa Jones said Kim doesn’t remember how she got to Arlington, but told her family she tried to keep her spirits up.

Theresa Jones said she has some concerns about why it took Arlington officials so long to notify her family. She said the name her daughter used when arrested was ‘‘Crystal Labido,” a name she had used before and was reported in a Jan. 3 press release from Montgomery County Police.