Thursday, Feb. 7, 2008

Music producer’s wife expresses relief at arrest of shooting suspect

Alleged gunman in 2006 homicide taken into custody Jan. 29

E-mail this article \ Print this article

The wife of Raymond Scott Brown said she is relieved to learn of the county police department’s recent arrest of 21-year-old Jamaal Alexis of Landover, the alleged gunman in Brown’s October 2006 shooting death.

‘‘It’s a huge weight lifted off my shoulders,” Danielle Steele Brown said of the arrest. ‘‘I have spent many, many sleepless nights thinking of my husband and thinking of that night. I miss my husband desperately, and it’s just sort of been plaguing me having seen this happen to my husband right before my eyes.”

Alexis, of the 2000 block of East Marlboro Avenue, was arrested Jan. 29 at his residence and charged with first-degree murder. He has been remanded to the Department of Corrections with no bond.

Cpl. Henry Tippett, a police spokesman, said Alexis is believed to have been the shooter.

Brown, better known as ‘‘Scottie Beats,” was a 36-year-old Lake Arbor resident and Fort Washington-based music producer who was killed Oct. 13, 2006 after a tow truck was used to steal his Chrysler 300 luxury sedan from his driveway.

Brown called 911 to report the theft at approximately 2:30 a.m., but was told by dispatchers that he should call back after finding out whether the car was being legitimately towed, said Steele Brown.

Steele Brown said she and her husband then hopped into their other car and drove toward the entrance of the neighborhood to get information about the tow truck company operating in the development.

Only a few blocks from their home in the 600 block of Stillwater Place, Steele Brown said they saw the tow truck parked near the neighborhood’s entrance in the 11000 block of Southlake Drive.

Steele Brown said a man was standing beside the tow truck and her husband got out of the car to ask him why he was towing his vehicle.

Before he could finish the question, Steele Brown said gunfire came from the tow truck, striking her husband in the chest.

‘‘We had no idea anybody was even in there because it was dark and the windows were tinted,” Steele Brown said. ‘‘I was screaming hysterically and in shock. I couldn’t believe what I saw and I was left there holding my husband who was bleeding to death in my arms.”

The suspects fled and Brown was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Two police dispatchers and a supervisor were fired after an investigation showed they had not followed proper procedure in their handling of the incident.

Neiman Edmonds, 20, of Upper Marlboro was arrested April 10 and charged with second-degree murder in connection with the case.

The county enacted a new towing law as a result of Brown’s death. The law, which requires tow truck drivers to notify police before a car is towed and when the car is impounded, took effect Jan. 3.

E-mail Jonathan Stein at