Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2008

Family displaced by apparent electrical fire

E-mail this article \ Print this article


A fire that began in the basement of a Wheaton home Jan. 2 caused $125,000 damage and displaced a family, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.

No one was hurt and no one was home at the time of the fire, said Pete Piringer, a spokesman for fire and rescue. A passer-by noticed smoke coming from a two-story single-family home at 2800 Weisman Road about 2:30 p.m.

The fire originated in a basement bedroom, Piringer said. Several space heaters were being used in the house, and investigators are looking into whether their use contributed to the cause of the fire, which Piringer said appeared to be accidental and electrical.

Fire from space heater damages apartment

A space heater placed too closely to combustible material started a fire early Friday morning in a Takoma Park apartment building that caused $275,000 in damage and displaced several residents.

Firefighters responded about 2:45 a.m. to a three-story garden-style apartment at 8314 Flower Ave., where the fire began in a first-floor residence. The occupant discovered the fire when arriving home, Piringer said. Six other apartments were affected.

Flower Avenue was closed because of icy conditions between Hudson and Wabash avenues.