Catch up on what happened during a conversation between county and school officials on the achievement gap, what school officials hope new devices will add to lessons, and how county students fared in the last year of the Maryland School Assessment.
1. Redrawing school boundaries could help diversify classrooms and close the county’s persistent student achievement gap, some County Council members said Monday, though school officials pushed back against the idea.
2. Montgomery County’s inspector general is looking into how well the county controls credit card charges by its agencies and employees.
3. The county school system is placing about 40,000 new laptops and tablets in classrooms during the upcoming school year.
4. Montgomery County elementary and middle school students’ reading and math proficiency fell across the board in the last year of Maryland School Assessment tests.
5. Montgomery College is offering a new course that might appeal to those interested in insects or harboring a sweet tooth.
6. Four Sherwood High School juniors created an anti-bullying video that was selected as a finalist in a global competition.
7. A new leader has taken the reins at Brown Station Elementary School in Gaithersburg.
8. Two students from Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring were selected for the 2014 U.S. physics team competing in the International Physics Olympiad in Kazakhstan.