Check out the stories below for the latest on the school system’s review of school board members’ credit cards, some highlights of this year’s graduation speakers and plenty of tales of what students are up to in your community.
1. Montgomery County school board members have stopped using their school system-issued credit cards after questions were raised about board member Christopher Barclay’s use of his card.
2. The 2014 high school commencement speakers have provided surprises and advice to Montgomery County Public Schools’ graduating seniors.
3. Parents continued a call for healthier food in their children’s school cafeterias at the Montgomery County Board of Education’s Tuesday meeting.
4. Denise Schaefer, a counselor at Magruder High School who recently passed away unexpectedly, is remembered as a kind, athletic and gregarious spirit.
5. The Washington Post reported that Montgomery County Public Schools made a couple changes among its top officials.
6. Montgomery College students will see slightly higher tuition costs in the fall.
7. Richard Montgomery High School principal Nelson McLeod is stepping down from his position due to a medical condition.
8. Seniors at Landon School in Bethesda painted portraits of Kenyan orphans and gave them to the orphans as graduation gifts.
9. Chapman University is starting a math and physics magnet program in Burtonsville for high school students.
10. Hundreds of area residents and neighbors celebrated the life of a late Gaithersburg student Sunday by participating in a 5k benefit walk.
11. Four William H. Farquhar Middle School eighth-graders were honored by the C-SPAN TV network for earning an honorable mention in its StudentCam contest.
12. Poolesville students showed off their theatrical talent at the student-directed Midnight Madness show with improv, singing and one-act plays.
Recent blog posts
- Education roundup: SROs, waivers and a college prep program-- Sep 17
- Education roundup: Walking students, a fight for a bus, and a Sherwood student remembered-- Sep 12
- Student mourned, whooping cough and an early start to college-- Sep 3
- Education roundup: Bus cameras, credit cards and a teacher mourned-- Aug 27