This story was corrected at 3:25 p.m. on May 2, 2014. An explanation follows the story.
A 61-year-old man has been charged in 17 burglaries and one attempted burglary across Montgomery County.
Montgomery County police said Willie Ray Villery is accused of burglarizing fast food chains, gas stations, and other businesses in Gaithersburg, Rockville and Olney in December 2013 and in April of this year, according to a news release.
He was being held in Montgomery County Detention Center. A judge set his bail at $50,000 each for two sets of charges related to the burglaries, according to online court records.
Police said surveillance footage linked Villery to the Montgomery County buglaries, which occurred in a series of two-day spurts. Detectives are investigating whether Villery may have been involved in more burglaries in Montgomery County and in neighboring jurisdictions, police said in a news release.
Online court records show additional burglary charges were filed against Villery in Prince George’s County.
Police allege that Villery burlgarized three Subway chain stores and tried to burglarize Choice Beer & Wine in Rockville on Dec. 7 and 8.
Police claim Villery was responsible for burglarizing another nine businesses on Dec. 10 and 11:
• Corner Bakery at Rio Washingtonian Center, 1 Grand Corner Ave., Gaithersburg
• Lindt Chocolate at Rio Washingtonian Center, 2 Grand Corner Ave., Gaithersburg
• Taco Bar 2 at Rio Washingtonian Center, 10003 Fields Road, Gaithersburg
• Dunkin Donuts, 16220 Frederick Road, No. 104, Gaithersburg
• Express Pharmacy, 16220 Frederick Road, No. 100, Gaithersburg
• BP gas station, 16210 S. Frederick Road, Gaithersburg
• Shell gas station, 15701 Frederick Road, Rockville
• Subway, 15106 Frederick Road, Rockville
• Kwik Stop Beer Wine Deli, 15104 Frederick Road, Rockville.
Police linked him to five more burglaries on April 20 and 21:
• Roots Market, 16800 Georgia Ave., Olney
• Dunkin Donuts, 18100 Village Center Drive, Olney
• Dunkin Donuts, 13424 New Hampshire Ave., south of Colesville
• Dollar Plus Store, 13434 New Hampshire Ave., Colesville
• Mobil gas station, 15450 Georgia Ave., Rockville.
Villery, who is listed with a Washington, D.C., address in court records, was arrested April 24 in the District and extradited to Montgomery County on Monday.
Court records show he was charged with 10 counts of burglary; four counts of attempted burglary; 10 counts of theft; and 13 counts of malicious destruction of property.
A court hearing was scheduled for May 23.
There was no attorney listed for Villery in online court records.
An earlier version of this story incorrectly described the crimes as robberies, rather than burglaries.