Seventeen Montgomery County Public Schools seniors from eight high schools have been awarded corporate-sponsored National Merit Scholarships. These scholarships, which range from $500 to $10,000, are financed by corporations, company foundations and other business organizations.
The students are among 35 Maryland seniors and about 1,000 nationwide selected in the 59th annual National Merit Scholarship Program. The scholars were selected from a pool of 8,000 students who were finalists in the National Merit competition and met the criteria of their scholarship sponsors.
Corporate sponsors provide the scholarships for finalists who are children of their employees, who live in the communities they serve or who plan to pursue college majors and careers the sponsor wishes to support.
The Montgomery winners, their intended field of study, and sponsors:
• Walt Whitman High School in Bethesda: Emily A. Rosenthal, Leidos Inc., undecided; Zeya L. Luo, Northrop Grumman, chemical engineering.
• Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring: Callie Deng, Leidos Inc., biochemistry; Gabriella R. Studt, Northrop Grumman, mathematics; Benjamin L. Sklar, Boeing, engineering.
• Poolesville High School: Haley S. Talbot-Wendlandt, Lockheed Martin, geology.
• Quince Orchard High School in Gaithersburg: Jennifer J. Walker, Mary E. Beyerle Estate, business.
• Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville: Christina L. Xu, Geico, entrepreneurship; Sarah L. Wu, Leidos Inc., business.
• Winston Churchill High School in Potomac: Allen Guo, Leidos Inc., computer science; Amy Lin, Lockheed Martin, mathematics; Jeanine M. Liu, Northrop Grumman, economics; Kevin A. Schecter, Geico, computer science.
• Thomas S. Wootton High School in Rockville: Christopher G. Long, Boeing, computer science; Xiaoyu Cai, General Dynamics, ophthalmology; Lanson T. Tang, Leidos Inc., biomedicine.
• Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda: Nathan I. Fredman, Geico, physics.