Northwest, Northwood students allowed back in buildings following two bomb threats -- Gazette.Net


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


RECENTLY POSTED JOBS



FEATURED JOBS


Loading...


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article
advertisement

This story was updated at 1:00 p.m., April 29, 2014.

Bomb threats at two Montgomery County high schools caused students to be evacuated while police searched the buildings Tuesday morning.

Police did not find anything in searches of Northwood High School in Silver Spring and Northwest High School in Germantown, according to Montgomery County Police Officer Janelle Smith.

One bomb threat was called in to Northwood at 9:29 a.m. and another threat was called in to Northwest at 9:32 a.m., according to county police spokeswoman Angela Cruz.

Dana Tofig, a spokesman for Montgomery County Public Schools, said both schools were evacuated as a precaution and students were able to return to their classes.

“We will continue to have as normal a day as possible,” he said in a Tuesday email.

Outside of Northwest High School dozens of parents waited outside the school and more lined the surrounding blocks in cars. Many had received calls and texts from their children who are students at the school.

“My son called and he said that they’d been standing outside for an hour and a half because there was a bomb threat,” said Danielle Arredondo. “I’m confused as to why they even have them in the school at all instead of releasing them immediately.”

Parents grew impatient waiting in the cold rain for over an hour to pick up students. Many wore only sandals and light jackets and said that the kids had been outside and cold, without jackets. It was around noon when police and administrators began the process of releasing students.

“No parent here has been able to contact the office, no one has talked to anyone from the school,” said Renan Guedes, who came to the school after getting a text from his younger sister Kelly Guedes.

Once the police completed their sweep of the building, parents who had arrived to pick up their kids were directed to the gym lobby to sign kids out of Northwest High School.

A senior, Prabhleen Broca, who was picked up by her aunt said that Tuesday morning teachers and students were saying there was a bomb and shooting threat.

“They didn’t really give us much information,” she said. “First we had a lockdown,” then the students went outside for about an hour, before returning inside to wait in the gym, she said. Then they were only allowed to leave with a relative.

“When they said it wasn’t a drill, I was scared,” said Kelly Guedes.

Student Kacie Haines said students did not know it was a bomb threat at their school until after they were brought back into the gym.

“And there were kids that were really worried. And I saw a few kids that were crying,” she wrote in a text to The Gazette.



lpowers@gazette.net