Read on for the latest on the snow-day waiver back-and-forth between the county and state, the results of a Gallup survey on county student and staff engagement, an event that highlighted students’ experiences with bullying — and more!
1. The state approved Montgomery County’s waiver plan for the rest of the school year Wednesday morning. An
2. An earlier story describe the issues surrounding the waiver request which the state had denied.
3. Temporary Montgomery teachers got some help signing up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.
4. Bullied county students shared their painful experiences at a symposium on bullying in schools.
5. County executive candidate Douglas M. Duncan said he would like to see the county invest in providing more school resource officers.
6. Superintendent Joshua P. Starr said that hope will close the county school system’s achievement gap.
7. Travilah Elementary School in Potomac has been nominated for a national award for its environmentally-friendly efforts.
8. The latest in our ongoing series on overcrowded schools: Westland Middle School in Bethesda.
9. Signs of a mouse on the premises briefly closed the cafeteria at Wood Acres Elementary School in Bethesda.
10. A Gallup survey found that county students are slightly less engaged than their national peers.
Recent blog posts
- Education roundup: SROs, waivers and a college prep program-- Sep 17
- Education roundup: Walking students, a fight for a bus, and a Sherwood student remembered-- Sep 12
- Student mourned, whooping cough and an early start to college-- Sep 3
- Education roundup: Bus cameras, credit cards and a teacher mourned-- Aug 27