Student transfer application season begins Monday -- Gazette.Net







Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

Montgomery County parents and guardians seeking a change of school assignment for their children from their home school may begin the process during the transfer season, which starts Monday. All requests must be submitted by April 1.

Except for students in the Northeast, Downcounty and Middle School Magnet consortiums, county students are assigned to a school based on their residence or their Individualized Education Program and are expected to attend that school. Assignment changes are permitted under the following circumstances:

• An older sibling attends the requested school in the regular program, absent a boundary change.

• A continuation in a feeder pattern from middle to high school, except when affected by boundary change, application program acceptance or consortium choice guidelines.

• A documented, unique hardship situation.

• A student selected for an exempt program.

At the home school or online, parents or guardians may obtain an information booklet that contains the request form, describes the process and provides other information. It is available in English and Spanish. Exempt programs that do not fall under the transfer guidelines are listed in the information booklet.

There is a different process to access the elementary language immersion programs. Information and copies of the relevant forms are available at all elementary schools and online at Parents of fifth-graders enrolled in immersion programs should submit a change of school assignment if they want the students to continue in the immersion program in middle school.

For information about assignments for students in the Northeast, Downcounty and Middle School Magnet consortiums, contact the Division of Consortia Choice and Application Program Services at 301-592-2040 or visit the website.

For more information about the transfer process, parents and guardians are encouraged to contact the principal at their home school. Non-English speakers who need help may call 301-309-6277, where operators who speak English and Spanish are available from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Parents who speak languages other than English or Spanish who call and identify their language will have their questions answered through a telephone interpreter.