Nineteen Montgomery County Public Schools students were named recipients of full-tuition, four-year college scholarships from the Posse Foundation.
The Posse program identifies public high school students with extraordinary academic and leadership potential that may have been overlooked by conventional college selection processes, according to a news release from the foundation. Forty-four colleges and universities each offer full-tuition scholarships to students throughout the country and create multicultural teams — called Posses — on each campus. These student teams receive professional guidance before and throughout college and provide support to one another. On campus, these students serve in leadership roles.
Posse programs are in nine different regions: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans and New York. Nearly 1,600 students are nominated nationwide for the scholarships.
This year’s Montgomery recipients come from 11 high schools and will attend six different colleges: They are:
• Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School: Jherron V. Sutton, Grinnell College.
• James Hubert Blake High School in Silver Spring: Bethany R. Hamson, Sewanee; Victor M. Phimphachanh, Grinnell College.
• Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring: Minu Tshyeto K. Bidzimou, Grinnell College.
• Gaithersburg High School: Mohamed F. Keita, University of Rochester; Kent Martine P. Mok, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
• Northwood High School in Silver Spring: James D. Caruso, Grinnell College; Jeffrey E. Miranda, Lafayette College.
• Poolesville High School: Alejandra Torres Diaz, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
• Seneca Valley High School in Germantown: Gustave A. Nguenjio Njapon, Lafayette College; Karen O. Somasundaram, Bucknell University; Jessica Wu, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
• Sherwood High School in Sandy Spring: Summer J. White, Grinnell College.
• Springbrook High School in Silver Spring: Jonathan M. Brown and Tariro A. Kandemiri, Sewanee; Anthony A. Ramos, Bucknell University.
• Watkins Mill High School in Montgomery Village: Manish Dhungana, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Krishna Mudwari, Grinnell College.
• Thomas S. Wootton High School in Rockville, Jackson I. Pierce Felker, Bucknell University.