Fire at Westfield Wheaton mall Saturday caused by grease -- Gazette.Net


The cause of a fire at the Crisp and Juicy at the Westfield Wheaton mall Saturday was a buildup of grease in the restaurant’s duct work, fire officials said Monday.

The mall was evacuated around 11:15 a.m. Saturday and Montgomery County Fire and Rescue responded to put it out. According to Assistant Chief of Fire and Rescue Scott Graham, the fire was caused by a buildup of grease in the duct work.

One firefighter went to the hospital with minor injuries. No one else was harmed in the fire.

The mall reopened around 2:30 p.m.

The fire did not spread beyond the Crisp and Juicy and there was little damage to the mall, said Ken Buckner, the mall’s director of marketing.