Michael Valente, president of the Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department, announced the following awards for 2013, which were presented at a recent banquet.
• Officer of the Year: Capt. Nancy Thornton, Sandy Spring, and Capt. Bruce Gibbs, Montgomery County.
• Firefighter of the Year: Firefighter III Philip Smith, Sandy Spring, and Master Firefighter Steven Pifer, Montgomery County.
• Bruce E. Newcomer Memorial Emergency Medical Services Award: Kelly Robinson.
• Junior Member of the Year: Sean Musgrove.
• Spencer J. H. Brown Sr. Outstanding Service Award: George W. Brown Jr.
• Life Membership: Mark Himes.
• Chief’s Award: Firefighter III Brendan Bonita.
• President’s Awards: John Lindner, Jennifer Musgrove, Michael Thornton.
• Top 10 responders, in ascending order: Smith, Robinson, Jennifer Soda, Brian Park, Jacqueline Earp, Bonita, Thomas Gordon, Mark Himes, Brown, Eli Fuhrman.
• Length of service: Glenn Bailey, Lea Gilpin, 55 years; Rodney Musgrove, 50 years; Vernon Lewis, Samuel McClung, 45 years; Philip Hines, 35 years; Richard Boggs, 25 years; Constance Brown, Paul Brubacher, Stephen Lichtman, 20 years; David Baker, Carrick Robertson, Thornton, 15 years; William Seggel, 10 years.
Awards also were presented to the department’s Auxiliary members.
• Sarah Dantz Award: Roseanne Fones.
• Lifetime Achievement Award: Deborah Cullen.
• Life Membership: James Mills.
• Length of service: Constance McKain, 50 years; Eric Roth, 15 years; Donna Haviland, James Mills, Kathy Mills, Patricia Sandrus, 10 years.
In other department news, Bonita was promoted to fire-rescue lieutenant.