Fairfax County police have arrested a 26-year-old Reston man believed to be connected to a series of six burglaries in Reston neighborhoods adjacent to North Shore Drive.
Daniel Stanley, of Inlet Court, was charged with six counts of burglary and one count of possession of stolen property on Nov. 18. Police say the six burglaries took place during daytime hours between the months of June and November, 2013.
Police said they tracked the suspect based on tips they received regarding a piece of stolen property traced back to the Reston area.
Fairfax County police are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying those responsible for vandalizing a large number of vehicles throughout the Sully Police District.
According to police, during the overnight hours of Oct. 27 and Oct. 31, the suspects drove through neighborhoods shooting out the windows of parked vehicles with a pellet gun. Vehicles were damaged in numerous communities, including Clifton Townes, Singletons Grove and Little Rocky Run Circle. Police say collective damage to the vehicles amounts to at least $18,000.
Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to contact Fairfax County Crime Solvers at 866-411-8477.
Fairfax County firefighters responded to a house fire at approximately 2:15 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Fairfax Station area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located in the 5700 block of Captain Jones Court.
Firefighters said they encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the basement, quickly spreading to other floors of the two-story home upon their arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes. The home was vacant and under major renovation. One firefighter was transported to INOVA Fairfax Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Construction workers using a plumber’s torch caused the fire.
The City of Falls Church Police Department is reminding holiday shoppers that robberies and thefts can increase this time of year. Police offer these tips to help shoppers from becoming victims:
• When shopping, do not leave valuables in your vehicle. If you make purchases and have further shopping to do, place your purchases in the trunk, not in plain view. Keep receipts with you. Consider inviting a friend to go with you.
• Carry your valuables wisely. Do not keep cash in your wallet. Instead, keep your cash in an inside pocket and only carry those credit cards you intend to use.
• When carrying a purse, hold it close to you, with the opening or flap to the inside, nearest your body. Never leave a purse in a shopping basket; always keep it with you.
• If you carry a backpack, carry your wallet on your person. If in a crowd, consider carrying the backpack on your front. Pickpockets can easily enter a backpack in a crowded area unobserved and unnoticed by the owner.
• Protect your credit card numbers and other personal information. Only provide credit card numbers over the phone if you initiated the call and know to whom you are providing information.
• After the holidays, don’t put the boxes of high-dollar gift items out with the trash (i.e., TVs, DVD players, computers, etc.), advertising the new items in your home. Break down the boxes and turn them inside out or break into pieces and discard in a bag or trash receptacle.
• If you are traveling for the holidays, have a friend or neighbor collect your mail and newspapers or have your service suspended while you are away.
• Be aware of your surroundings. Report anything or anyone suspicious that you observe.
An Alexandria home has suffered $200,000 worth of fire damage.
Fairfax County firefighters responded to a house fire at approximately 8:45 a.m. Nov. 15 in the Mount Vernon area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located in the 7900 block of Grimsley Street.
Firefighters said they encountered smoke and fire coming from the basement of the two-story home upon their arrival. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes. A smoke alarm alerted the occupants to the fire, allowing them to escape unharmed. Two adults and an infant have been displaced and will receive support from the Red Cross. Firefighters said a cat perished in the fire. There were no other injuries.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A portable heater placed too close to a chair in the basement caused the blaze.