Germantown shooting victim recovering from surgery, police say -- Gazette.Net


This story was updated at 2:15 p.m. on Aug. 5, 2013.

Police said a man who was shot at about 1:30 a.m. Monday at a Germantown residence probably was the victim of a home invasion by several people.

Police arrived at the ranch-style house, in the 17400 block of Onyx Drive, after a report of a shooting and burglary, said Montgomery County Police Capt. Jim Daly.

They discovered a 22-year-old man who had been shot several times in the torso, Daly said. As of mid-afternoon on Monday, police had not released the victim’s identity.

Police think the victim and shooter knew each other. “We don’t believe this was some sort of random crime,” he said.

According to Daly, several people forced their way into the house through the back door of the residence.

The shooting occurred in the basement. Rescue personnel took the man to a local hospital, where he was recovering from surgery, Daly said.

Around noon Monday, police crime scene tape still hung across Black Rock Road in front of the Asbury United Methodist Church, across the street from where police shuttled in and out of the house.

A child’s pink toy jeep sat in front of the house, near where officers stopped to talk on the front porch, and a swing set was visible in the backyard.

Neighbor Kenneth Greene said police activity was very unusual in the quiet neighborhood off Md. 118.

Greene said he was in bed around 2:30 a.m. when he heard a helicopter flying low overhead and saw its lights searching the neighborhood.

The house’s residents had moved in less than two months ago, he said.

The residents never caused a disturbance in the neighborhood, although cars sometimes came to and from the home, he said.

Police were not sure what, if any, property was taken from the home, Daly said.

Police searched the surrounding area with K-9 teams and a helicopter from the U.S. Park Police, but did not find anyone.

Several other adults were in the house at time of shooting, Daly said. Those people have been identified and interviewed, but no one was charged or was in custody, he said.