Eleven Montgomery County Public Schools students have received college- and university-sponsored scholarships in the latest round of awards from the National Merit Scholarship Corp.
The awards provide from $500 to $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
The recipients, their sponsor and intended career field:
• Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School: Alyssa M. Berez, Brandeis University, mathematics.
• Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring: Evan S. Kahn, Harvey Mudd College, engineering.
• Damascus High School: Hope R. Rietcheck, Kansas State University, biological engineering.
• Poolesville High School: Bryn E. Whitney-Blum, Oberlin College, international relations; and Anand V. Patel, University of Maryland, aerospace engineering.
• Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville: Dalia S. Berkowitz, Tufts University, undecided; Taiyuan Pai, University of Chicago, economics; and Alan Y. Lang, University of Maryland, medicine.
• Thomas S. Wootton High School in Rockville: Souvik Ghosh, University of Maryland, computer engineering; Kathleen Y. Lu, University of Chicago, computer science; and Heidi J. Shiau, University of Maryland, accounting.
All told, 32 Maryland students received such scholarships. This latest round brings the county’s public school total of National Merit Scholarship winners to 52, with one more round to be announced in July.
Six county students won corporate-sponsored scholarships; 24 won National Merit $2,500 Scholarships, and 11 won National Achievement Scholarships.