Woman dead in Cheverly house fire -- Gazette.Net


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


RECENTLY POSTED JOBS



FEATURED JOBS


Loading...


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article
advertisement

This story was corrected at 9:07 a.m. April 1, 2013. An explanation is at the bottom of the story.

A woman in her 60s died at the scene of a house fire in Cheverly, said Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor. Firefighters arrived at the two-story, single-family home in the 2400 block of 59th Place in Cheverly at around 8 a.m. Sunday.

When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out of the windows and the roof, engulfing the house. The woman was found in an upstairs bathroom, and when carried outside, it was clear she would not live, Bashoor said, and she was pronounced dead on the scene.

The woman’s name was not available.

There will be an autopsy to determine the exact cause of her death and an investigation into the fire.

Bashoor described the house as being “difficult to get in” because of a “hoarding situation.”

One firefighter suffered a second-degree burn to his hand, he said.

No working smoke alarms were found in the house, Bashoor said. As is customary, the fire department will be knocking on nearby doors on Monday, he said, to remind people of the importance of smoke detectors. Monday will also mark the beginning of a new countywide program in which all 45 stations fan out into neighborhoods at the beginning of each month to remind people about smoke alarms.

ablum@gazette.net

The initial story incorrectly identified the person speaking on behalf of the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department.