Judge rules mistrial in Largo double murder trial -- Gazette.Net


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


RECENTLY POSTED JOBS



FEATURED JOBS


Loading...


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article
advertisement

A “slip of the tongue” has delayed the trial of a 2009 double murder another eight months.

Jason Scott, a Largo High School graduate accused of killing a Largo mother and her 19-year-old daughter in March 2009, was on trial Monday when a state witness referenced multiple home invasions in front of the jury, according to Prince George’s state’s attorney’s officials.

Prince George’s Circuit Court Judge Michael Whalen previously ruled that only one home invasion was admissible during the trial.

John Erzen, a spokesman for the state’s attorney’s office, said an Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives federal agent was testifying to the charges and as state prosecutors were questioning him, he made reference to multiple home invasions Scott was allegedly involved in instead of just one.

“There’s been a lot of questions as to what evidence was to be allowed in the case,” Erzen said. “The judge felt that the jury hearing about multiple home invasions was prejudicial against Scott.”

Erzen said Whalen did say he felt the ATF agent’s mention of home invasions was not intentional.

Harry Trainor, Scott’s defense attorney, could not be reached for comment Monday.

Scott, 29, previously was convicted on federal gun trafficking, child pornography and carjacking charges for which he was sentenced to 100 years in prison by a federal judge.

He is alleged to have strangled Delores Dewitt, 42, and daughter, Ebony Dewitt, on March 16 inside their home before putting their bodies inside a stolen car and setting it on fire.

The trial, which began Feb. 18 and was expected to last up to six weeks, has now been postponed to Oct. 21 with a new jury selection beginning Oct. 15, Erzen said.

“While we are disappointed in this outcome, we feel that the correct ruling was made and we respect Judge Whalen’s decision,” Alsobrooks said in a statement. “This is no way jeopardizes our case against Mr. Scott and we look forward to retrying the case later this year.”

Scott is facing life without the possibility of parole if convicted on the two counts of first-degree murder, Erzen said.

djgross@gazette.net