White Oak teen’s court hearing postponed -- Gazette.Net


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


RECENTLY POSTED JOBS



FEATURED JOBS


Loading...


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article
advertisement

A court hearing that could determine whether a White Oak teen will be tried as an adult in the death of his sister was postponed until March 8.

Jonathan Aguiluz, of the 11600 block of Lockwood Drive, was scheduled for a hearing today in Montgomery County Circuit Court to determine whether the state would continue with the first-degree murder charge entered when police originally arrested him earlier this month.

Shortly after Aguiluz’s bail review on Feb. 11, Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy told reporters that he had been charged as an adult due to Maryland state law.

“As noted by the prosecution and defense in open court, in Maryland under law, if someone commits the offense of first-degree murder, it is mandated that you be charged originally as an adult,” he said.

Ramon Korionoff, a spokesman for the State’s Attorney’s Office, said Friday the state asked for a continuance to gather more information for their case.

Aguiluz is charged with killing his sister, Larissa Yanes, in their family’s apartment Feb. 9. The cause of death was asphyxia.

Police reports said that Aguiluz had been watching the girl while his mother, Gloria Yanes, worked a night shift. He had allegedly covered the girl’s mouth and nose in an effort to get her to stop crying.