Riverdale Baptist School shot putter Rashad Manning waited quietly for his turn. While other throwers hopped around, sought advice from coaches and worked themselves into a frenzy, Manning stood with his shoulders relaxed and a bored look on his face.
Moments before walking into the cage for his first throw, Manning decided he wanted to powder his hands. Sometimes, he uses powder. Sometimes, he doesn't. But he never brings his own, so Manning quietly asked another shot putter to share — his focus never breaking as he made his last-minute adjustment.
Still carrying the same tranquil facial expression, Manning walked into the circle and launched the shot 54 feet and 3.5 inches to break a Last Track to Philly meet record Saturday at Georgetown Prep. Later, the sophomore's winning throw left the record at 54 feet and 9.75 inches.
“When I'm competing, I'm in a certain zone,” Manning said. “I don't really talk to other people. They talk to me, and I'm OK with it. I'm not bored, but I'm not one of those guys who jumps around. I don't jump around and yell. I stretch, and I pray, and I just throw.”
Before the meet, Manning's coaches told him about the previous record — 52 feet and 3.5 inches by Gov. Thomas Johnson's Brian Uthe in 2011 — a mark Manning had already topped in the Bishop Loughlin Invitational, Friends of Indoor Track Invitational, Hispanic Games and Montgomery Invitational this winter. Would he have preferred not to know the number to beat?
“When I was younger I probably would have said not know, but now, it doesn't really matter to me — unless it was something that I haven't reached yet,” Manning said. “If it was 60, then I would like to know. Either way, I'm going to try my best. But if it was 60, then I would have a little more excitement.”
Manning's shot put coach, Donna Barrett, suggested to meet officials push back the barriers before the event began. That proved wise during Manning's throws that had upperclassmen competitors watching wide-eyed.
“I forget myself I'm a sophomore, really,” said Manning, who began throwing at age 9 when he joined the track team to lose weight for football. “I've been going against so many older guys.”
That has left Manning in a dilemma when it comes to choosing a college path.
“I love football, but I'm good at track,” Manning said.
Thomas Johnson's Samuel Shipley (13 feet, 6 inches in the boys pole vault), Middletown's Erin Smith (10-6 in the girls pole vault) and Bethesda-Chevy Chase's Caroline Beakes (5:07.64 in the girls mile) also established new meet records.
Thomas Johnson pole vault coach Chris Heinze said another one of his pole vaulters, Erick Artusio, cleared 14 feet and nine inches in 2009. But that wasn't counted in the meet program, allowing Shipley to break the recognized record of 12 feet and six inches set by Thomas Johnson's Greg Donitzen last year.
“We'll call it a record,” Heinze said with a laugh. “If Sam has it, at least my guy still has it.”
Beakes ran a fresh two mile at the Montgomery Invitational earlier this month, finishing in a personal-best 10:47.28. So, Saturday was her chance at a fresh mile, and again, she set a personal best while setting her meet record.
“I'm really happy, because I don't really think of the mile as my event, usually,” Beakes said. “I'm more of a two miler. So, it's good.”
Girls 1 Mile Run B Race Finals
1. Keller, Kiernan, Academy Of T, 5:31.89; 2. Treanor, Katherine, Georgetown D, 5:38.68; 3. Miller, Naomi, Georgetown D, 5:39.19.
Girls 1 Mile Run A Race
1. Beakes, Caroline, Bethesda-Che, 5:07.64#; 2. Griffith, Isabel, Dulaney, 5:12.82; 3. Kaplan, Emily, Georgetown V, 5:13.86.
Girls 3200 Meter Run
1. Daley, Abbey, Clarksburg, 11:24.40; 2. Beautz, Claire, Poolesville, 11:30.58; 3. Walter, Lela, Walt Whitman, 11:37.25.
Girls 4x200 Meter Relay A Relays
1. McDonogh 'A' (Hatcher, Lakin , James, Tyler , Glossinger, Allison , Hayes, Sidney ), 1:44.74#; 2. Bishop McNamara 'A' (Gay, Jaela , Bell, Deja , Butler, Cierra , Scott, Chelsea ), 1:46.59; 3. Dunbar (Dc) 'A' (Brown, Mecca , Johnson, Deja , Epps, Micah , Freeland, London ), 1:46.59.
Girls 4x200 Meter Relay B Relays
1. McDonogh 'B' 1:52.88; 2. Bishop McNamara 'B' 1:54.42; 3. Elizabeth Seton 'B' 1:56.55.
Girls 4x400 Meter Relay
1. Middletown 'A' (Bidle, Stephanie , Desimone, Jennifer , Kelly, Megan , Remsberg, Maggie ), 4:12.81; 2. Dunbar (Dc) 'A' (Fauntroy, Nalo , Freeland, London , Johnson, Deja , Epps, Micah ), 4:13.03; 3. Dulaney 'A' (Klein, Lily , O'Connor, Kaeli , Robinson, Kita , Lopez, Cristina ), 4:13.60.
Girls 4x800 Meter Relay
1. Mt de Sales 'A' (Hrabinski, Katrina , White, Ana , Basil, Clare , Harris, Jessica ), 9:44.65#; 2. Bethesda-Chevy Chase 'A' (Webster, Helen , Wade, Brittney , Beakes, Caroline , ), 9:53.56; 3. Georgetown Visitation Prep 'A' (Wyckoff, Sarah , Foster, Jessie , Griffith, Moira , Kaplan, Emily ), 9:54.22.
Girls 1600 Sprint Medley
1. McDonogh 'A' (Glossinger, Allison , James, Tyler , Hatcher, Lakin , Hayes, Sidney ), 4:12.50#; 2. Mt de Sales 'A' (Shearer, Julianna , Doda, Liz , Craig, Cecilia , Harris, Jessica ), 4:14.02; 3. Dunbar (Dc) 'A' (Johnson, Deja , Epps, Micah , Brown, Mecca , Freeland, London ), 4:23.43.
Girls Distance Medley
1. Georgetown Visitation Prep 'A' (Wyckoff, Sarah , Foster, Jessie , Murray, Jillian , Griffith, Moira ), 12:52.74; 2. Walt Whitman 'A' (Elmendorf, Caroline , Wright, Reyna , Walter, Lela , Severe, Clare ), 12:53.41; 3. Atholton 'A' (Bleakney, Jennifer , Alper, Natalie , Markovitz, Rebekah , Greenwald, Jill ), 12:55.02.
Girls 4x55 Meter Shuttle Hurdle
1. Harford Tech 'A' (Chapman, Paige , Corbin, Charice , Corbin, Marietta , Singleton, Cierra ), 32.66; 2. Winston Churchill 'A' (Coleman, Emma , Lilienfield, Charli , Silva, Sabrina , Silva, Gabriella ), 33.59; 3. Bishop McNamara 'A' (Rogers, Brielyn , Hamilton, Amara , Koger, Demariah , Ore, Cierra ), 33.64.
Girls High Jump
1. Hinnerichs, Natiaha, Holton-Arms, 5-02; 2. Pyles, Alexus, Clarksburg, J5-02; 3. Bonham, Rachel, Woodrow Wils, 5-00.
Girls Pole Vault
1. Smith, Erin, Middletown, 10-06#; 2. Gruver, Olivia, Franklin, 10-00; 3. Panasenkov, Catherine, Quince Orcha, 9-06.
Girls Long Jump
1. Rogers, Brielyn, Bishop McNam, 17-05.25; 2. Hayes, Sidney, McDonogh, 16-10; 3. Hill, Jaidlin, Bishop McNam, 16-09.25.
Girls Triple Jump
1. Rogers, Brielyn, Bishop McNam, 38-02.50; 2. Robertson, Jeida, Col. Zadok M, 34-09.50; 3. Chapman, Simone, Banneker Sen, 34-08.75.
Girls Shot Put
1. Ovejera, Tamara, Governor Tho, 41-08; 2. Chavis, Brittney, Harford Tech, 36-06; 3. Murphy, Amanda, Franklin, 34-02.
Boys 1 Mile Run B Race
1. Anderson, Jon, Dulaney, 4:43.35; 2. Boardman, Sam, Georgetown D, 4:43.68; 3. Bezherano, Itai, Walter Johns, 4:46.59.
Boys 1 Mile Run A Race
1. Spear, Tyler, Loyola Blake, 4:31.25; 2. Duboyce, Patrick, Linganore, 4:31.57; 3. Armbruster, Alex, St. Andrew's, 4:35.97.
Boys 3200 Meter Run
1. Bertrand, William, Clarksburg, 9:30.60; 2. Sauvageau, Xavier, Littlestown, 9:45.06; 3. Gartrell, Adam, Reservoir, 9:52.41.
Boys 4x200 Meter Relay B Relays
1. Bishop McNamara 'B' 1:39.74; 2. Georgetown Prep 'B' 1:39.88; 3. St John's College 'B' 1:41.07.
Boys 4x200 Meter Relay A Relays
1. Georgetown Prep 'A' (Busby, Ron , Jordan, Charles , Coolidge, Blake , Njinkeu, Armel ), 1:34.42; 2. Dulaney 'A' (Barmer, Tionne , Lewis, Dre , Washington, Travis , Smith, Stephon ), 1:35.36; 3. Loyola Blakefield 'A' (Cunningham, Connor , Reynolds, Connor , Piedmont, Dominic , Little, Bernard ), 1:35.48.
Boys 4x400 Meter Relay
1. Mount Hebron 'A' (Wise, Ethan , Gainey, Nate , Goldner, Seneque , Humm, Andrew ), 3:32.25; 2. Dulaney 'A' (Smith, Stephon , Washington, Travis , Garner, Isaiah , Barmer, Tionne ), 3:34.22; 3. James Hubert Blake 'A' (Assoua, Gaston , Oxley, Joshua , Harris, Anthony , Oxley, Darius ), 3:34.98.
Boys 4x800 Meter Relay
1. Reservoir 'A' (Usher, Timmy , Pochettino, Owen , Grabow, Paul , King, Tristan ), 8:29.59; 2. Our Lady Of Good Counsel 'A' (Balkam, Kyle , Rohrer, Nate , Adal, Kidus , Czujko, Alex ), 8:35.21; 3. Paint Branch 'A' (Koech, Victor , Haamid, DeWayne , Hussein, Irre , Dorsey, Harold ), 8:35.30.
Boys 1600 Sprint Medley
1. McDonogh 'A' (Scott, Nihgel , Singer, Mikey , Weems, Jabari , Weathers, Justine ), 3:43.75; 2. Paint Branch 'A' (Barry, Sytta , Njem, Noel , Green, Clifton , Lloyd, Oliver ), 3:45.68; 3. Quince Orchard 'A' (Vakas, Carlo , ), 3:46.20.
Boys Distance Medley
1. Perry Hall 'A' (Alluisi, Patrick , Coates, Jordan , Cruz, Jose , Ciattei, Vincent ), 10:39.65; 2. McDonogh 'A' (Brown, Matt , Scott, Nihgel , Singer, Mikey , Michelson, Andrew ), 10:40.33; 3. Linganore 'A' (Duboyce, Patrick , Beck, Dan , Connor, Kevin , Cook, Jeffrey ), 10:46.79.
Boys 4x55 Meter Shuttle Hurdle
1. Mount Saint Joseph 'A' (Campbell, Cornelius , McUllogh, Jeremiah , Fisher, Chuck , Hatcher, Landrie ), 29.00; 2. Dulaney 'A' (Smith, Stephon , McBryde, Richard , Barmer, Tionne , Bae, Trent ), 29.33; 3. Tuscarora 'A' (Foster, Marcus , ), 29.43.
Boys High Jump
1. O'Keefe, Jack, Quince Orcha, 5-10; 2. Woods, Josh, McDonogh, 5-08; 3. Lyons, Kevin, H.D. Woodson, J5-08.
Boys Pole Vault
1. Shipley, Samuel, Governor Tho, 13-06#; 2. Markley, Austin, John Carroll, 11-06; 3. Kontos, Aleko, Middletown, J11-06.
Boys Long Jump
1. Cunningham, Connor, Loyola Blake, 20-10.50; 2. Grunewald, Nick, Georgetown P, 20-05.50; 3. Brown, Malcolm, Quince Orcha, 20-02.75.
Boys Triple Jump
1. Davis, Elliott, Quince Orcha, 44-10; 2. Palmer, Jordan, Atholton, 44-03.25; 3. Hatcher, Landrie, Mount Saint, 43-00.
Boys Shot Put
1. Manning, Rashad, Riverdale Ba, 54-09.75#; 2. Neary, Doug, Mount Saint, 50-03.75; 3. Mackey, Kevin, North Harfor, 49-01.25.
Mixed 1600 Meter Race Walk
1. Tilley, Cliff, Wooton, 7:08.57#; 2. Watson, Moses, Oakdale, 7:20.41; 3. Fletemyer, Irene, Quince Orcha, 8:17.26.