Police investigate fatal shooting of 16-year-old in Fort Washington -- Gazette.Net


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


RECENTLY POSTED JOBS



FEATURED JOBS


Loading...


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article
advertisement

As family and friends mourn the loss of a 16-year-old boy in Fort Washington, Prince George’s police are offering an up to $25,000 reward to help solve the fatal shooting.

Marcus Antonio Jones, of the 800 block of East Swan Creek Road, was shot Saturday night while leaving a party in Fort Washington. Police were called to a home in the 7700 block of Webster Lane at midnight Sunday for the report of a shooting where they found Jones outside suffering from a gunshot wound. He was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police said an initial investigation shows that as Jones was walking to a car away from the party, he was shot by an unknown suspect who fled.

Jones was a sophomore at Friendly High School in Fort Washington. He was also a member of the Fort Washington Boys and Girls Club and frequented the Potomac Landing Recreation Center to play basketball, according to family members.

Latrice Robinson, Jones’ cousin, said a relative who attended the party with Jones called family members early Sunday to notify them of the shooting. She said Jones was a well-mannered, well-known teen in the community and could not think of any reason for the shooting.

“We were shocked. It was unbelievable,” she said. “He was a bright, intelligent young man. Everybody would say how well-mannered he was.”

Robinson said Jones’ mother declined to comment due to her emotional state and said a candlelit vigil with more than 300 people was held Sunday night in his honor.

She said immediate family members would be meeting with detectives Monday to discuss the investigation.

“We really would like the person who did it to get caught and have justice served,” she said. “But there’s still no comfort to that.”

County police said they are still trying to identify that suspect and determine a motive in the killing, said Cpl. Maria McKinney, a county police spokeswoman. Police also noted that they are pursuing “substantial leads.”

Any tip that leads to the arrest and indictment of a suspect responsible for the killing may be eligible for the reward, McKinney said.

“There are no new updates at this time as the investigation continues,” she said.

Those with information are asked to call the department’s homicide unit at 301-772-4925 or Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS to remain anonymous.

Jones is the fourth Prince George’s County Public Schools student to have been killed since the school year started in August.

Amber Stanley, 17, a senior at Charles H. Flowers High School, was gunned down in her bedroom inside her Kettering home on Aug. 23.

Central High School junior Marckel Ross, 18, of Capitol Heights, was shot and killed Sept. 11 while walking to school in the morning.

Eliezer Reyes, 14, was gunned down Dec. 5 in a gang-related drive-by shooting in Lewisdale. Reyes had been a student at Nicholas Orem Middle School in Hyattsville, but this school year attended Foundations School, an independent special education school in Largo for students with emotional disabilities.

Briant Coleman, a spokesman for the county school system, said since schools were closed Monday for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day holiday, a letter will be sent home with Friendly High students Tuesday to notify students and parents of the incident.

Coleman said grievance counselors will also be on hand to assist students and staff.

“As a normal investigation goes, we will work with the police department as the investigation continues,” he said.

djgross@gazette.net