Fire destroys home in Dickerson, injures two firefighters -- Gazette.Net






Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

This story was updated at 9:30 a.m. Jan. 20, 2013.

A fire destroyed a house in Dickerson early Saturday morning, sending two firefighters to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and displacing two people from the home.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service Assistant Chief Scott Graham said the fire destroyed a two-story single-family home in the 19700 block of Mouth of Monocacy Road.

Officials believe the fire was accidental and started in or near a wood stove, according to a news release from the Fire and Rescue Service. The two adults living in the house said they were awakened by smoke and saw fire in the wall around the stovepipe and in combustibles nearby, the release said. A smoke alarm in the house was disabled, according to the release.

The occupants tried to extinguish the fire without success, and escaped the home without injuries. When firefighters arrived at about 3:30 a.m. Saturday, they found a well-established fire on both the first and second floors.

One firefighter suffered second-degree burns on his hand, and another was mildly shocked when the structure’s electric service line came into contact with the aluminum siding, the release said. Their injuries are not considered life threatening. One of the firefighters has been released from the hospital, and the second is being held for observation.