Chillum man gets life in prison for fatal New Year’s Eve stabbing -- Gazette.Net


A Chillum man was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for a 2010 fatal stabbing in Hyattsville on New Year’s Eve.

David Henry Wright, 30, of the 5700 block of Cypress Creek Drive was found guilty of stabbing 58-year-old Ansel Donovan Whitelocke of Hyattsville 53 times during a robbery inside his home Dec. 31, 2010.

Prince George’s Circuit Court judge Melanie M. Shaw Geter presided over the Nov. 29 case.

Prince George’s state’s attorney’s office officials said Wright ran away with Whitelocke’s Bible, jewelry and roughly $500, and convicted him of first-degree murder, robbery, conspiracy and concealing a dangerous weapon following a jury trial Sept. 20.

Nancy Lineman, a spokeswoman for the Prince George’s County state’s attorney, said the maximum sentence was set at life in prison plus 40 years.

“A lot of time for judges, giving life without the possibility of parole is enough,” she said.

Two co-defendants, DeMarco Williams, 25, and Verlyncia Coleman, 23, both of Chillum, previously pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, respectively, state’s attorney’s office officials said.

Williams was sentenced to 45 years in jail and five years of supervised probation on May 31, 2011, while Coleman was sentenced to 18 years in prison and five years of supervised probation Sept. 29, 2011.

According to the Prince George’s state’s attorney’s office, Williams and Coleman, who knew the victim, planned to rob Whitelocke inside his apartment while celebrating New Year’s Eve with him. Coleman went to Whitelocke’s apartment and left seconds before Wright and Williams came and demanded money, according to the state’s attorney’s office. When Whitelocke refused to give them money, he was stabbed repeatedly and died while Wright and Williams took some of his belongings, according to the state’s attorney’s office.

Calls to Bethany Skopp, a public defender representing Wright, were not returned Friday.

A phone number for Wright’s residence could not be located.