Brunswick easily wins 1A boys soccer state title -- Gazette.Net


In the 17th minute of Saturday afternoon’s 1A boys soccer state championship game, Washington High School’s Martel Veney was called for a handball in the box.

With the match scoreless, Brunswick senior forward Drew Demich walked to the spot with a chance to put his team ahead.

Demich’s penalty kick was knocked away by goalie Ryan Fries.

“The keeper made a good save. I wanted to score it, but it’s fine,” Demich said timidly. “I got four more after that.”

Demich’s remarkable scoring performance helped the Railroaders secure their second boys soccer state championship — the school’s first since 1990 — with a 7-2 blowout victory at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

“We’ve been knocking on the door for a while,” Demich said. “It’s nice to finally get it. Back in 2010 [in a loss to Mountain Ridge], it didn’t feel as awesome as it does today.”

The red-headed senior’s first goal came after a scramble in the box in the 32nd minute. Fries saved Demich’s initial shot, but the rebound careened right back to Demich, who tapped it in to give Brunswick a 1-0 lead.

“We knew that there were goals there for us if we continued to press and play the way that we were,” Brunswick coach Kenny Putnam said.

The Railroaders applied consistent pressure throughout the first half, but it wasn’t until the second half when Brunswick’s scoring barrage began.

“Brunswick really was attacking us,” Washington coach Matt Brady said. “In the first half, I thought we defended pretty well. We had a few underclassmen in the back going against some of the best offensive players that I’ve seen this year.”

Two minutes into the second half, the Railroaders — supported by a large and vocal cheering section — added to the lead when Brandon Feueherd connected on a one-timer that was assisted by Zack Hossler.

Five minutes later, Demich scored his second goal on a shot from distance to make it 3-0. His third goal came two minutes after that on a low shot that snuck by Fries. Two minutes later, his fourth was scored on a half-volley from inside the box.

“We had to be patient and take our chances well,” Putnam said. “The goals just kept coming. When you have an experienced team, you can do that.”

Washington’s Kyle Simpkins scored goals in the 71st and 75th minutes — giving him 35 goals this season and 101 during his high school tenure. It was, however, too little too late.

Washington’s chances were quite limited when the game was in contention. In the fifth minute, Simpkins blasted a free kick from 30 yards out that was knocked over the goal by Brunswick goalkeeper Ty Foltz. Foltz was again tested by Simpkins in the 45th minute. Simpkins sprinted by the defense and blasted a shot directly on frame from inside the box that Foltz dove to stop.

“We were very keyed in on their top striker,” Putnam said. “He gave us a lot of problems today and he got two that he probably deserved. He’s a really good player.”

Once the match was out of hand, Brunswick’s JT Bergman and Costas Beauclair added goals for the Railroaders, who finished the year with only one loss.

Brunswick 7, Washington 2

Brunswick (17-1-2) 1 6 — 7

Washington (12-5-0) 0 2 — 2


Brunswick — Drew Demich 4 (32’, 47’, 49’, 51’), Brandon Feueherd (42’), JT Bergman (65’), Costas Beauclair (73’)

Washington — Kyle Simpkins 2 (71’, 75’)


Brunswick — Zack Hossler (42’), Brandon Feueherd (49’), Nathaniel Eiben (73’)