This story was updated at 1:40 p.m. on Oct. 24, 2012.
Several businesses are letting customers and employees back in after a gas leak near the intersection of Snouffer School Road and Mooney Drive in Gaithersburg forced an emergency evacuation.
The gas leak was reported at about 9:40 a.m. on Wednesday, said Assistant Chief Scott Graham, a spokesman for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue. About two dozen people were evacuated. According to the store manager at a nearby T.W. Perry, people were allowed to return to the buildings around noon. The manager, Jaime Villanueva, said an 18-wheel truck drove over a sidewalk and ran over a lid that covered the gas line, causing the leak. The truck has been moved from the scene, he said.
Ruben Rodriguez, a spokesperson for Washington Gas, said the truck hit a “gauge line,” where the gas is monitored. Rodriguez said the site is now clear.
Snouffer School Road was closed near that intersection, but has now reopened, according to Montgomery County police.