Victims uncooperative with police after Silver Spring shooting Tuesday night -- Gazette.Net


This story was updated at 10:45 a.m. on Oct. 18, 2012.

The two victims of a shooting in Silver Spring Tuesday night are refusing to cooperate with police, who believe the men were injured during a possible drug deal.

The shooting took place around 7 p.m. Tuesday in the 12700 block of Old Columbia Pike, according to police. Several witnesses called 911 from a nearby restaurant, but the two men fled the scene before officers arrived, said Lt. Michael Price, the acting commander of the Silver Spring police district, in a community meeting Wednesday night in Briggs Chaney.

“One of the witnesses said they think they saw a drug deal and it went bad,” Price told residents.

The witnesses also gave police the license plate number of the vehicle the men left in and a responding officer quickly identified the car and made a traffic stop at the intersection of Briggs Chaney Road and Md. 29, about two miles north of the scene of the shooting, said Officer Janelle Smith, a county police spokeswoman.

Both men in the vehicle had been shot and were eventually transported to an area hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, said Capt. Paul Starks, a police spokesman. One of the men was shot in the arm and the other was wounded in the leg, Price said. Neither of the men had provided police with suspect information or details regarding the shooting as of Wednesday night, Price added.

Police credited the quick actions of community members and a Silver Spring restaurant owner in giving police information about the shooting and helping them identify the victims.

“If not for that, we would have showed up and there wouldn’t have been much,” Smith said. “The victims would have been gone.”

Amy Wang, whose family owns and operates the China Golden Restaurant at 1217 Old Columbia Pike, said she was inside the restaurant preparing for the dinner crowd when she noticed a commotion in the parking lot.

“There were some people outside in the parking lot who came in to pick up their food — they were customers — and they said that they had to call the police, there was something [happening] outside,” she said. “I didn’t see what happened, but they called the police and said someone was hurt.”

Wang said she gave the customers the phone and they placed the call. She did not recall seeing a victim or anyone with any injuries enter the restaurant.

Police are not releasing the names of the men or details regarding their injuries, but both men were conscious and alert when police located the vehicle. It is still unclear what led to the shooting or if the shooter was known to the victims, Starks said.