A contractor repairing a collapsed roof in Landover caught fire from a spontaneous electrical charge while working near an underground vault Tuesday morning, according to a Prince George’s County fire/EMS official.
The man, who is in his 50s, sustained second-degree burns to his upper body and was transported by paramedics to a burn unit after the 10 a.m. incident, said Mark Brady, chief spokesman for the county’s fire/EMS department.
The man had been working in the 1500 block of Cabin Branch Drive at a commercial building for the Recall Corp., a national document and records management company. Recall’s underground vaults are used for document and record storage, according to its website.
Brady said the man was conscious and breathing when he was transported.
He said the contractor had been working on repairs to the building in response to its June 28 roof collapse, when one man was killed. On that day, a forklift accidentally struck a storage rack that fell onto support beams and toppled the roof and walls, fire officials said. The other employees in the building at the time escaped unharmed, officials said.
Brady said after firefighters arrived for the Tuesday morning incident, Pepco was called to the scene to assess the electrical malfunction.
“We’ve been advised that there was an injury and that it’s under investigation,” Pepco spokeswoman Myra Oppel said Tuesday afternoon.
Calls to a Recall Corp. manager in Landover were not immediately returned Tuesday.