This story was corrected from an earlier version. An explanation follows the article.
Montgomery County fire and rescue officials took 12 Temple Emanuel students to a local hospital Monday morning with wasp stings, according to fire service officials.
None of the students, who were all 2-year-olds in the temple’s preschool program, were seriously injured when the stings took place, but rescue officials decided to transport the children to a hospital as a precaution, said Assistant Chief Scott Graham, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman.
“We’re evaluating them for precaution, I don’t think they were all suffering from anaphylaxis,” he said, refering to an allergic reaction to bee venom and other allergens.
The call was placed to rescue personnel just before 10:30 a.m. Monday, apparently while students and staff were outside the school building during a fire drill at the temple, located at 10101 Connecticut Ave. in Kensington, Graham said.
Dianne Neiman, the executive director of the temple, declined to discuss the incident when reached for comment Monday morning.
According to the Montgomery County Beekeepers’ Association, the insects involved in the incident were wasps not bees as first reported.