Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A Great Mills man died Saturday night, police report, after the motorcycle he was riding went off Flat Iron Road and slid into a guardrail.

Leslie L. Groves, 32, was thrown from the 2006 Harley Davidson FXST during the crash that occurred at about 7 p.m., according to Maryland State Police. In addition to law officers, St. Mary’s fire and rescue volunteers were on the scene within eight minutes after an initial call to 911 dispatchers, a log report states, and additional firefighters were requested a minute later to stand by at a nearby ballfield, the chosen landing zone for a state police helicopter crew also responding to the emergency.

Groves was “conscious, alert and responding to questions” at the scene of the accident, state police reported, but they later learned from a helicopter-dispatch control that his condition worsened during a flight to the University of Maryland Hospital’s shock-trauma center in Baltimore, and that he was pronounced dead at 9:42 p.m.

Lt. Michael Thompson, commander of the state police barrack in Leonardtown, said this week that it was standard protocol to request a helicopter for a flight to a trauma center after a serious motorcycle accident.

Groves was wearing a helmet and there were no preliminary indications that alcohol or other drugs were involved in the accident, the lieutenant said, adding that police will undertake a detailed investigation to determine contributing circumstances to the crash.

“They will take a lot of different factors,” Thompson said Tuesday at the police barrack.

Groves, a native of Washington state, had three young children, a lawyer said, and Groves worked for Eagle Systems in Lexington Park. He earlier received an honorable discharge from the U.S. Marine Corps.

Don Peeling, Eagle Systems’ chief executive officer, said Tuesday that Groves was employed eight years at the business, working as an engineering technician in support equipment maintenance and test project support.

“He was a quiet person, very dedicated [and a] very loyal professional,” Peeling said. “He always seemed to be up to the challenge, and willing to go the extra mile. He’ll really be missed.”

Second District fire and rescue volunteers, Lexington Park rescue volunteers, Bay District volunteer firefighters and a St. Mary’s advanced life-support crew responded to the accident.