Two weekend fires in Prince George’s send woman to hospital, leave 2 firefighters injured -- Gazette.Net







Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

Two firefighters suffered minor burns and a woman was taken to the hospital this weekend as a result of two separate house fires.

A Saturday afternoon blaze that left a Fort Washington home with more than $60,000 in damage sent one firefighter to the Medstar Washington Hospital Center with minor burns for which he was treated and released. The unidentified woman, who was a resident of the home that received thousands of dollars in damage, also was taken to an undisclosed hospital after she became overwhelmed with the heat and the events that had occurred to her home, said Mark Brady, spokesman for the Prince George’s County’s Fire and Emergency Services Department.

Firefighters were called to the 8600 block of Botley Drive in Fort Washington after receiving a 911 call regarding a house fire in the area, Brady said. When emergency personnel from Oxon Hill and other surrounding communities arrived they found a two-story home with fire coming from the first floor, Brady said.

The home’s occupants already had evacuated the building and firefighters began a fight to bring the blaze under control. After 15 minutes the fire, which is believed to have been started by unattended cooking, was put out, Brady said. After the flames were extinguished the unidentified woman was injured, Brady said.

“Long after the fire had been extinguished and firefighters were cleaning up, a female occupant of the damaged home was overwhelmed from the heat of the day and the emotions of the event,” he said.

The woman was last reported to be in good condition.

In a separate incident, on Sunday, a firefighter suffered burns battling a two-alarm blaze that destroyed a house in Mount Rainier.

During a fight to contain a house fire in the 4500 block of 32nd Street in Mount Rainier, an unidentified firefighter received minor burns. The man was treated and released from the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center, Brady said.

Firefighters were called to the Mount Rainier area at about 3 a.m. Sunday morning after receiving a report of a fire, Brady said. When firefighters arrived they found a two-story Cape Cod-style house a flame. Firefighters began to advance their hose lines into the building and search for any occupants of the house, Brady said. As the fire mounted, firefighters opted to call in additional support, Brady said.

“Due to the intensity of the fire and concern about extension to neighboring houses a precautionary second alarm was sounded,” Brady said.

As firefighters worked to extinguish the flames, it became apparent the house was not a home and had been abandoned. Firefighters made an exit from the building and continued to fight the blaze, Brady said.

As the blaze dragged on, firefighters were rotated in and out of the fight to be given time to rehydrate and to be evaluated by paramedics.

Firefighters battled the blaze for about an hour before bringing it under control. The building was a total loss. The cause of the structure destruction is under investigation, Brady said.