Unattended candles were the cause of a townhouse fire in Greenbelt Wednesday night that left one woman displaced, fire officials say.
Around 7:30 p.m., firefighters responded to a two-story townhouse in the middle of a row at 53 Ridge Road in Greenbelt, where fire was coming from the second floor.
Mark Brady, chief spokesman for the Prince Georgeís County Fire/EMS Department, said a woman the sole occupant of the home had safely exited the townhouse prior to the departmentís arrival.
Fire investigators determined the cause of the fire to be accidental and attributed to unattended candles that ignited a fire in the second-floor bedroom, causing $20,000 in damages.
The woman has been displaced and is being assisted by the countyís Citizen Services Unit.
There were no injuries, Brady said.