14- and 16-year-old boys killed in Chevy Chase crash -- Gazette.Net







Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

This story was updated at 2:23 p.m. on March 27, 2012.

A police pursuit of a stolen car turned deadly Friday morning when the car crashed at Chevy Chase Circle on Connecticut Avenue.

Emanuel Nelson, 16, and Tyree Nelson, 14, both of Washington, D.C., died when the stolen Toyota Echo burst into flames, Montgomery County Police Capt. Thomas Didone said. The two were cousins.

Julie Green, vice president of marketing for E.L. Haynes Public Charter School in the District, said the 14-year-old who died Friday was named Kyree Nelson, a ninth-grader at the school.

The families could not be reached for comment.

The driver of the car, Reynard Osman, 16, of an unconfirmed address in Washington, D.C., was seriously injured and taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries, police said. He was still recovering at the hospital Tuesday.

The front-seat passenger, Reeco Richardson, 18, of the 6000 block of Sligo Mill Road in NE Washington, D.C., was treated and released from the hospital, police said.

The incident started at East West Highway and Jones Mill Road about 1:13 a.m. when a county police officer checked the license plate and learned the car was stolen.

The car attempted to elude the officer and was driving south on Connecticut Avenue when it struck a tree at Chevy Chase Circle near the border between Montgomery County and the District, police said.

Police officers used fire extinguishers and rescued Osman and Richardson, police spokesman Capt. Paul Starks said.

Officers could not reach the boys in the back seat.

“The officers broke glass to get into that back seat, but the whole thing became engulfed and they had to back off,” Starks said.

One officer was treated for burns and a shoulder injury, Starks said.

Montgomery County Police Officer Rebecca Innocenti said the Echo was one of three cars reported stolen from Forest Glen neighborhoods March 17 and 18. Police recovered two of the vehicles March 18.

As of Tuesday, no one involved in the crash has been charged .

Ruth Robbins of Chevy Chase said a neighbor called to alert her to the crash at about 1:15 a.m., waking her. When she looked outside her home, she saw a car engulfed in flames.

"It was terrible," she said.