Man convicted of killing off-duty state trooper -- Gazette.Net







Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

A Seat Pleasant man could face life in prison after he was found guilty Friday in the June 2010 shooting death of a Maryland state trooper.

A jury unanimously found Cyril Cornelius Williams, 29, guilty of first-degree murder in the killing of Trooper 1st Class Wesley Brown.

Williams shot Brown, 24, who was off-duty working part-time security at a Forestville Applebee's, out of retaliation after Brown and a second security officer escorted Williams out for being disorderly, prosecutors said.

Prince George's County Circuit Court Judge Sean D. Wallace presided over the trial, which began Feb. 13.

Williams will be sentenced May 10 in the county's Circuit Court, and the state prosecution will ask Wallace to sentence Williams to life without parole, said Leslie Graves, a county state's attorney's office spokeswoman, on Friday.

The jury also returned guilty verdicts on charges of carrying a handgun, using a handgun to commit a violent crime and "possession of a regulated firearm after conviction of a disqualifying crime," according to a state's attorney's office news release.

Williams' defense attorneys, William Mitchell Jr. and William C. Brennan Jr., declined to comment Monday.

The verdict comes at the end of a week-long trial that included testimony from witnesses who were either at the scene or heard incriminating details.

Anthony Andre Milton II, testified he gave Williams the .45-caliber handgun that Williams previously loaned to Milton and rode with him to the scene of the shooting despite not having previous knowledge of where they were going or why Williams needed the gun.

Milton, 29, of Seat Pleasant pleaded guilty in January 2011 to being an accessory to the crime after the fact, and faces up to five years in prison. His sentencing is scheduled for Feb. 23.

A second man, Cory Jones, testified Feb. 16 that Williams threatened him after learning he would testify details of Williams' case that he shared with Jones throughout 2011 while both were incarcerated at two separate Maryland correctional facilities.

Jones used the information in an effort to reduce his own prison sentence, a life sentence for an unrelated attempted first-degree murder charge in Wicomico County, to jail time of 40 years per an agreement to help the Prince George's County state's attorney's office.