District man pleads guilty to first-degree murder of Glenmont man -- Gazette.Net


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


RECENTLY POSTED JOBS



FEATURED JOBS


Loading...


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article
advertisement

A Washington, D.C., man pleaded guilty Friday to first-degree murder in the December 2010 shooting death of a 19-year-old Glenmont man.

Corey Dreshaun Yates, 22, faces a maximum life sentence, but prosecutor Donna Fenton said the state may consider asking the judge to impose a lesser sentence if Yates cooperates.

“The defendant has given information to the state that the state will further be investigating and [we] may make further recommendations to the court upon sentencing,” she told Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Eric M. Johnson at Yates’ plea hearing.

Alan Drew, Yates’ defense attorney, will ask Johnson to limit Yates’ sentence to no more than 20 years.

Neither Drew nor Fenton returned multiple calls for comment following Yates’ plea hearing.

Yates turned himself in to Montgomery County police Jan. 4, 2011, two weeks after 19-year-old Doodley Derose was shot in his home at 1616 Hutchinson Lane on Dec. 21, 2010. Montgomery County Police later determined that Yates and two other men arranged with an acquaintance of Derose’s to buy marijuana from Derose.

When Derose opened the door, Yates and another man robbed him at gunpoint, police said.

Derose grabbed the acquaintance and pulled him into the house, shutting the door on Yates and the other man. Two shots were fired through the door, striking Derose once in the chest, police said. Derose died at a county hospital later that evening.

Yates, scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 10, is also facing a first-degree murder charge in Washington, D.C., according to court documents filed in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia last year. He is scheduled to go to trial in the District case Feb. 21.

The acquaintance spoke with police and identified Yates as one of the shooters, but could not name the other man, according to court documents.

Another District resident, 16-year-old Trenton Robinson, was arrested Jan. 5, 2011, when police tracked Robinson’s cell phone from his home in the 700 block of Rittenhouse Street to the scene of the crime, Fenton said.

Robinson’s mother and father said Trenton was at home with them at the time and could not have been involved.

“My son is completely innocent of all charges,” said Thomas Robinson, Trenton’s father, who said another man from Washington, D.C., was with Yates when Derose was shot.

Thomas Robinson said Yates and three other men, including the man who set up the drug deal, dropped Trenton off at home well before the shooting, but borrowed Trenton’s cell phone to set up the deal.

Thomas Robinson and Kim Patten, Trenton’s mother, received a letter from the Montgomery County Detention Center from Yates after he had turned himself in for the shooting. In it, Yates states that Trenton was not present when the shooting took place.

Carlotta Woodward, Robinson’s defense attorney, was not available for comment.

Linois Derose, Doodley’s father, was relieved following Yates’ plea but resolved to press forward until all of the men involved in the shooting are held responsible. Linois hopes the acquaintance who brought Yates to his home and the other man he believes helped plan the crime soon will be charged.

“The way I look at it to myself, a car with four guys came to our neighborhood,” he said. “Two of them have not even been charged yet, we’re waiting for them to come to justice, as well.”

jarias@gazette.net