Frequently Asked Questions: -- Gazette.Net







Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

How do I submit a letter to the editor to The Gazette?

Letters to the editor should be 200 words or less.

Specific guidelines for election-season letters can be found here

You may submit a letter to the editor through e-mail at or send letters to:

Montgomery County

Andrew Schotz, 9030 Comprint Court, Gaithersburg, MD 20877; or fax to 301-670-7183. Call 240-864-1531 for more information.

Prince George's County

Vanessa Harrington, 13501 Virginia Manor Road, Laurel, MD 20707; or fax to 240-473-7501. Call 240-473-7500 for more information.

Include your name and address for publication and telephone number for verification. If you are a member of a group or organization, and are writing about an issue on which that group has taken a stance, please include a sentence explaining your affiliation with that group.

How do I submit a photo to The Gazette?

If you wish to submit digital photos to The Gazette, please use the following guidelines.

  • Images from most digital cameras will work. Most cameras produce JPEG files, which work well for us.
  • Please don't crop the photos or do any color correction; we will take care of that.
  • Send the photos to us by e-mail.
  • Please attach the image files to your email message, don't send Word files with embedded photos.
  • Include all the caption information for each photo in the text of your email. Include the names of all the people in each photo, tell us what is going on, where the photo was taken, when it was taken, and any other information that may be of interest.
  • Send your photos to an appropriate editor or reporter.

If you have any questions please contact The Gazette photo department.

How should I request permission to reprint a story from The Gazette?

Businesses, nonprofits and individuals seeking to reprint Gazette stories, beyond a copy for personal use, must make the request in writing. In general, the request must include the date the story appeared, the headline, the edition and a description of how the reprint will be used, such as "for our internal membership newsletter, circulation 10,000 copies." For details or to submit a request, email Glen Cullen at

How should I link to a story from The Gazette?

If you would like to place a link on your site to an article on Gazette.Net or include Gazette.Net headlines on your site, you may do so without getting electronic publishing permission from us as long as the text on your site is limited to the title, link URL and 200 words or fewer quoted from the story in your summary. Your link should also credit The Gazette as the publisher.

Example of how to link to an article on Gazette.Net:

The code and text below shows how to add a free link to a Gazette.Net article to your site.

Example with coded headline and introduction:

House Dems vow tax cuts, school construction boost

House Speaker Michael E. Busch vowed Wednesday to roll back Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s 2003 property tax hike while boosting school construction by $100 million, all without slot machines. The Gazette - 02/02/05

The first paragraph of the code above is the linked headline, with URL. The second paragraph should be the story introduction, if available, or your summary of the article. In creating your summary, you are not authorized to quote more than 200 characters, including spaces, from the article. Please add The Gazette and the date of the article to your citation.

Example with coded headline only:

© Post Community Media, LLC/Gazette.Net

Privacy statement for Gazette.Net

We collect information about our readers to provide subscription requests and renewals and event registrations and e-newsletter subscriptions. We occasionally request additional information -- such as street addresses and phone numbers -- to facilitate customer service and correct delivery problems.

We respect your right to privacy. We will not share e-mail addresses or specific subscriber information with third parties unless you have given us permission to share that information.

We use the information you provide in the following ways:

  • We make changes to your delivery information, such as address.
  • We deliver announcements of new or upcoming Gazette.Net events to your e-mail address.
  • We may contact you to provide customer service or ask that you participate in a reader survey.
  • We aggregate demographic information on an anonymous basis from our subscribers to help us improve our site and help advertisers understand our audience.
  • Kids under 13: Do not send any information about yourself to us - including information like your name, address or e-mail address. In general, we do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If, in limited circumstances, we do knowingly collect personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 13, we will do so only with verified parental consent prior to collection. In the event that we learn that we have collected any personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information from our database as quickly as possible.

How do I cancel or request delivery?

For any delivery issues regarding your Montgomery county weekly community paper, call 301-670-7350. For Prince George's delivery questions, call 240-473-7500.

The Gazette keeps the past year's papers on file for viewing only at its office at 9030 Comprint Court in Gaithersburg. To make an appointment to access these files, call 301-670-2000.

A full newspaper delivery FAQ is available here.

How do I submit an obituary?

You may submit an obituary to us through Gazette.Net.

For further information, you can contact The Gazette by phone at 301-670-2526, or email at or fax at 240-864-1343.

How do I place a wedding, engagement or anniversary announcement?

Paid announcements for weddings, engagements, anniversaries and other notable events can be submitted to The Gazette through the website at

A representative will contact you with exact pricing and options. You can contact Mona Bass, 301-670-2526 if you have questions or email

How do I submit a calendar item?

Calendar items should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the requested date of publication.

You can click here to access our online calendar. Events in the online calendar are also considered for publication in our print editions.

How can I obtain a printed copy of a paper?

The Gazette typically keeps print copies of newspapers for six weeks following publication. To obtain a copy of a paper published within the past six weeks, visit The Gazette main office in the appropriate county. Call first to confirm that the office has the desired copy.

Montgomery County

9030 Comprint Court

Gaithersburg, MD 20877


Prince George's County

13501 Virginia Manor Road

Laurel, MD 20707


Limited number. Call for availability.

Copies of The Gazette can also be picked up at various locations throughout Montgomery and Prince George's counties. The link below will help you find the nearest location, including the name and address of each.

Bulk drop-off locations for The Gazette newspapers

How do I obtain a copy of a photo published in the paper?

All photos posted to "WeClicked" are eligible for purchase. Simply click the photo you wish to buy, and then click on the "buy this photo" link beside it and follow the instructions. Photos purchased through the web site are less expensive and generally arrive more quickly than those ordered through our photography staff as there is significantly less overhead for us.

If you cannot find the photo you are looking for online, please contact Dan Gross in our photo department at 301-670-2062 for availability and cost.

Reprints are for personal use and may not be republished.

How do I contact The Gazette?

A full list of contacts for The Gazette's papers can be found at